Downsizing into an RV can be a daunting task, but it’s also an exciting opportunity to declutter and simplify your life.
Are you preparing for a long-term trip or looking to make the most of your space? These tips will help you get organized and make the most of your new home on wheels.
3 Key Takeaways
- Make a list of your must-have items to prioritize what you need to bring and make it easier to let go of the rest
- Get rid of anything you don’t use or love to declutter and simplify your life
- Utilize vertical space, choose multi-purpose items, utilize the outdoors, be selective about your clothes, and organize the little things to save space and make the most of your small RV living area
Start by making a list of your must-have items
Making a list of your must-have items. Without a list, you’re lost. It is the most important step in the process of downsizing to fit in an RV.
Prioritize the things that are most important to you to avoid packing unnecessary items and feeling overwhelmed.
When making your list, consider the following:
- Your basic needs: These are the things that are essential for your daily life, such as cooking gear, sleeping gear, and personal care items.
- Your work or hobby needs: If you’ll be working or pursuing hobbies while on the road, make sure to include any items that you’ll need for those activities.
- Your entertainment needs: Don’t forget to pack items for relaxation and enjoyment, such as books, movies, and games.
Keep in mind the limited space and prioritize the most important items on your list. By getting rid of anything you don’t use or love, you can make room for the things that truly matter.
Get rid of anything you don’t use or love
Getting rid of anything you don’t use or love is an important step in the process of downsizing to fit in an RV.
Not only will this help you declutter and simplify your life, but it will also make it easier to fit everything you need into your small space.
Here are a few tips for getting rid of items you no longer need or want:
- Be honest with yourself: If you haven’t used an item in the past year or it doesn’t bring you joy, it’s time to let it go. Be honest with yourself about what you really need and what you can live without.
- Donate, sell, or recycle – Instead of throwing items away, consider donating them to a charitable organization, selling, or recycling them. This can help you declutter while also doing some good in the world.
- Start small – It can be overwhelming to tackle your entire home at once, so start with a small space or category of items. For example, you might start by decluttering your closet or getting rid of old kitchen gadgets.
- Ask for help – If you’re having trouble letting go of certain items, ask a friend or family member for their input. They may be able to help you see things from a different perspective.
Make use of vertical space
Making use of vertical space is an important strategy for organizing and maximizing the storage space in your RV. With a little creativity and the right tools, you can utilize every inch of your small home on wheels.
Here are a few tips for making use of vertical space in your RV:
- Use shelves: Shelves are a great way to store items and keep them off the floor. Look for ones that are sturdy and can hold a lot of weight. A good example are wire shelves or wooden shelves with support brackets.
- Invest in hanging organizers: Hanging organizers, such as over-the-door shoe organizers aree a great way to store items. It also helps to keep things out of the way.
- Use stackable bins: Stackable bins are a great way to utilize vertical space and keep your RV organized. Look for bins with lids to keep items dust-free. Consider using clear bins so you can easily see what’s inside.
- Utilize wall space: Don’t forget about the walls! Consider using wall-mounted shelves or hanging baskets to store items and free up space on the floor.
Choose multi-purpose items
Choosing multi-purpose items is a great way to save space and make the most of your small RV living area. When shopping for furniture and other items, look for pieces that can serve more than one function.
Here are a few tips for choosing multi-purpose items:
- Consider your needs: Think about what you’ll be using the item for and how it can serve multiple purposes. For example, a coffee table with drawers or shelves can provide a place to put your drinks and snacks on. It can also double as a storage area for items like books, games, and DVDs.
- Look for space-saving designs: There are many furniture and home goods designs that are specifically designed to save space. A fold-down desk or a couch that converts into a bed can be a valuable space-saving option for an RV.
- Be creative: With a little creativity, you can find multi-purpose solutions for almost any need. You could use a kitchen island with a drop-leaf or extendable top. Both of these provide extra counter space and a dining table.
Flexible Storage Bins
Flexible storage bins can be a great solution for organizing your RV and making the most of your available space. These bins are typically made of a lightweight, durable material that can be easily squeezed or folded to fit into tight spaces. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes, making them versatile for storing everything from clothes and bedding to kitchen supplies and toiletries.
One of the benefits of using flexible storage bins is that they can be easily removed and carried with you when you’re on the go. This makes them a great choice for items that you may need to access frequently, such as snacks or entertainment items. They can also be easily stored under beds or in other out-of-the-way places to save space.
When choosing flexible storage bins for your RV, look for ones that are sturdy and have a tight-fitting lid to prevent items from falling out. Clear bins can also be helpful so you can easily see what’s inside. And, be sure to measure your available storage space before purchasing to ensure that the bins will fit.
Utilize the outdoors
Utilizing the outdoors is a great way to create extra living space and make the most of your RV experience. When you’re camping, you have an entire campsite at your disposal, so it’s important to make use of it.
Here are a few ways to utilize the outdoors when downsizing to fit in an RV:
- Bring a small outdoor table and chairs: An outdoor table and chairs can provide a place to eat, work, or relax outside. Look for lightweight, portable options that are easy to set up and take down.
- Set up a hammock: A hammock is a great way to relax and enjoy the great outdoors. Look for a portable, weather-resistant option that can be easily set up and taken down.
- Bring a portable fire pit: A fire pit can provide a cozy place to relax and gather around in the evening. Look for a portable option that’s easy to set up and take down.
- Consider an outdoor rug: An outdoor rug can provide a comfortable and stylish touch to your campsite. Look for one that’s durable and easy to clean.
Be selective about your clothes
When downsizing to fit in an RV, it’s important to be selective about your clothes to make the most of your limited space. Instead of packing your entire wardrobe, choose a few versatile pieces that can be mixed and matched.
Here are a few tips for being selective about your clothes:
- Choose versatile pieces: Look for clothes that can be worn in multiple ways and paired with different items. For example, a neutral-colored blazer can be dressed up or down and paired with different pants, skirts, and tops.
- Pack for the climate: Consider the climate you’ll be traveling in and choose clothes accordingly. If you’ll be visiting multiple climates, bring clothes that can be easily layered.
- Don’t forget about accessories: Accessories can be a great way to change up an outfit without taking up too much space. Consider packing a few scarves, hats, and statement jewelry pieces to mix and match with your clothes.
- Use packing aids: To save space, consider using packing aids like vacuum-sealed bags or compression cubes. These can help you fit more clothes into your drawers and closet while also keeping them organized.
Don’t forget the little things
It’s easy to forget about the little things when downsizing to fit in an RV, but these small items can add up quickly and take up valuable space. To make the most of your limited space, it’s important to be mindful of the little things and find ways to store them efficiently.
Here are a few tips for organizing the little things in your RV:
- Use small storage solutions: Look for small storage solutions, like baskets or bins, to keep the little things organized and out of the way.
- Consider travel-sized items: Instead of packing full-sized items, consider using travel-sized versions of things like shampoo, conditioner, and other personal care products. These can save space and are easy to find at most stores.
- Use stackable containers: Stackable containers are a great way to make the most of vertical space and keep the little things organized. Look for containers with tight-fitting lids to prevent items from falling out.
Downsizing to fit in an RV can be a daunting task, but with a little planning and organization, it’s possible to fit everything you need into a small space.
By making a list of your must-have items, getting rid of anything you don’t use or love, making use of vertical space, choosing multi-purpose items, utilizing the outdoors, being selective about your clothes, and organizing the little things, you can create a comfortable and functional home on wheels.
With these tips in mind, you can enjoy the freedom and flexibility of RV living while still having everything you need at your fingertips.